Lead / principal developer | Job at Powerpal
Working at Powerpal
At Powerpal we’re building Australia’s largest residential energy engagement platform. Our customers love us – they’re saving money on their bills and helping out with the climate crisis at the same time!
We’re full-stack from the batteries up. We design and manufacture our own IoT hardware which connects through our cross-platform mobile apps to a cutting edge cloud platform allowing us to build amazing customer experiences on top of huge volumes of data.
We build and maintain a React Native iOS/Android mobile app, a range of Go and Ruby microservice APIs running on Kubernetes, and a Bigtable/Bigquery/Dataflow big data platform – all hosted on on Google Cloud Platform.
We love clean code, automated testing, CI/CD and believe in a true devops workflow where the same team designs, builds, tests, deploys and monitors end-to-end products.
We’re a fully remote team with huge amounts of flexibility and autonomy to set your own schedule and drive your own projects. Ideally you’ll be based close to Sydney, Melbourne or Wollongong so that we can get the team together for a couple of days per month to socialise and share ideas.
A typical day for the team
There are so many exciting projects to work on as the company accelerates that no two days are the same, but recently we have been mostly:
- Planning new features for customers with rooftop solar across the Powerpal hardware, mobile app and data platform.
- Building tools to support the rollout of tens of thousands of free Powerpals in Victoria with an amazing customer booking experience and geospatial logistics for our team of installers.
- Moving our terabyte scale time-series database from Postgres to Bigtable with zero downtime.
- Keeping in touch with the team over Slack and Friday afternoon Zoom beers.
- Optimising our cross-platform app to provide the best possible bluetooth connectivity and background power management across a variety of mobile hardware.
- Ensuring that our cloud infrastructure autoscales and self-heals so that we can ignore it entirely when we’re on holiday.
- Working with our energy industry partners to launch load shifting and demand response experiences to reward customers for balancing their power usage throughout the day.
- Going to the beach on a sunny Wednesday without meetings and getting some quiet coding done on a rainy Sunday afternoon instead.
What we need you to have on your first day
- 6+ years of development experience across a range of projects, technologies and organisations, but not necessarily using our core stack (Go, Ruby, JS, Kubernetes).
- A previous lead role on a major end-to-end product delivering mobile, web and backend components.
- At least 2 years of experience in a startup environment. You’ve seen how young companies mature into larger teams and know what you’d do again, and what you’d change.
- At least one major project involving big data storage and asynchronous data processing.
- Enough experience building web-based APIs and their associated data stores (both SQL and NOSQL) that they’ve now become boring.
- Passion for clean code and rigorous testing - and the confidence to push us further in this direction!
- A desire to iteratively improve code and processes over time while continuing to rapidly ship user-facing features.
- A demonstrated ability to work autonomously and take ownership of teams delivering end-to-end products.
- Great communication skills to collaborate remotely, lead a team and manage uncertainty.
What you’ll get to do
- Take ownership of the whole Powerpal system and ensure that everything we do can be developed, tested, deployed, monitored, and maintained without friction.
- Lead teams delivering user-facing projects with end-to-end features that touch the React Native mobile app, our backend APIs and our big data platform.
- Build new tools to support manufacturing, rollout logistics and fleet management of tens of thousands of IoT devices.
- Work on hard problems around scaling real-time data feeds with gigabytes of time-series data arriving every day from unpredictable IoT connections.
- Contribute to our big data management and analytics strategy, balancing the ad-hoc needs of the business today against new architectures to support our needs tomorrow.
- Drive long term initiatives to improve the quality of our existing codebases and expand our automated unit testing to include higher level end-to-end testing in multiple environments.
- Set the direction for a great developer experience from the laptop to the cloud as we scale our build, test and deployment processes to support a larger team.
- $160-$180k plus super (depending on your specific experience).
- Negotiable equity (options) in a profitable and rapidly growing startup.
- A new Macbook Pro or equivalent value in mobile devices and home office upgrades as necessary.
- A free Powerpal for your home ;)
Our interview process
We like to keep our interview process as simple as possible while giving us all a chance to get to know each other. This is usually spread over a week or two, but if you’re on a tighter timeline just let us know and we’ll speed things up.
- Email a copy of your CV and a brief description of your current location and availability to email@example.com
- If we think you’re a good match we’ll arrange a quick chat over coffee or VC to share more background about the role and make sure that we’re all still interested.
- We’ll give you a take-home coding challenge which should take about 2-3 hours. We’re far more interested in how you approach problem solving and write clean code than how quickly you can invert a binary tree!
- You’ll spend an hour talking about your previous technical experience and future goals with our CTO Rick Grundy.
- Our CEO Pete Neal will have a final chat to make sure that you’ll be happy at Powerpal and to check that you don’t hate puppies.
- We’ll make you an offer and you’ll become part of the Powerpal family!