Senior IoT developer (Australia remote)
Working at Powerpal At Powerpal we’re building Australia’s largest residential energy engagement platform. Our customers love us – they’re saving money on their bills and helping out with the climate crisis at the same time! We’re full-stack from the batteries up. We design and manufacture our own IoT hardware which connects through our cross-platform mobile […]
Working at Powerpal
At Powerpal we’re building Australia’s largest residential energy engagement platform. Our customers love us – they’re saving money on their bills and helping out with the climate crisis at the same time!
We’re full-stack from the batteries up. We design and manufacture our own IoT hardware which connects through our cross-platform mobile apps to a cutting edge cloud platform allowing us to build amazing customer experiences on top of huge volumes of data.
We build and maintain a React Native iOS/Android mobile app, a range of Go, NodeJS and Ruby microservice APIs running on Kubernetes, and a Bigtable/Bigquery/Dataflow big data platform – all hosted on Google Cloud Platform.
We love clean code, automated testing, CI/CD and believe in a true devops workflow where the same team designs, builds, tests, deploys and monitors end-to-end products.
We’re a fully remote team with huge amounts of flexibility and autonomy to set your own schedule and drive your own projects. Ideally you’ll be based close to Sydney, Melbourne or Wollongong so that we can get the team together for a couple of days per month to socialise and share ideas.
A typical day for the team
There are so many exciting projects to work on as the company accelerates that no two days are the same, but recently we have been mostly:
- Planning new features for customers with rooftop solar across the Powerpal hardware, mobile app and data platform.
- Building tools to support the rollout of hundreds of thousands of free Powerpals in Victoria with an amazing customer booking experience and geospatial logistics for our team of installers.
- Moving our terabyte scale time-series database from Postgres to Bigtable with zero downtime.
- Keeping in touch with the team over Slack and Friday afternoon Zoom beers.
- Optimising our cross-platform app to provide the best possible bluetooth connectivity and background power management across a variety of mobile hardware.
- Ensuring that our cloud infrastructure autoscales and self-heals so that we can ignore it entirely when we’re on holiday.
- Working with our energy industry partners to launch load shifting and demand response experiences to reward customers for balancing their power usage throughout the day.
- Going to the beach on a sunny Wednesday without meetings and getting some quiet coding done on a rainy Sunday afternoon instead.
What we need you to have on your first day
- Professional experience working with large scale IoT systems, ideally incorporating MQTT.
- 3+ years of development experience across a range of projects and technologies, but not necessarily using our core stack (Go, Ruby, JS, Kubernetes).
- Some experience or interest in learning about big data storage and asynchronous data processing.
- Passion for clean code and rigorous testing – and the confidence to push us further in this direction!
- A desire to iteratively improve code and processes over time while continuing to rapidly ship user-facing features.
- A demonstrated ability to work autonomously and take ownership of significant projects.
- Great communication skills to collaborate remotely, drive requirements and manage uncertainty.
What you’ll get to do
- Take ownership of the direction of our IoT platform and lead development of new system functionality while sharing your IoT expertise with the broader team.
- Design and build systems that can scale up to support millions of edge devices.
- Work on hard problems around scaling real-time data feeds with gigabytes of time-series data arriving every day.
- Share ownership of the whole Powerpal system and take responsibility for ensuring that the projects you work on can be deployed, monitored, and maintained without friction.
- Improve the quality of our existing codebases and expand our automated unit testing to include higher level end-to-end testing in multiple environments.
- Help to set the direction for a great developer experience from the laptop to the cloud as we scale our build, test and deployment processes to support a larger team.
- $140-$160k plus super (depending on your specific experience).
- Negotiable equity (options) in a profitable and rapidly growing startup.
- A new Macbook Pro or equivalent value in mobile devices and home office upgrades as necessary.
- A free Powerpal for your home 😉
Our interview process
We like to keep our interview process as simple as possible while giving us all a chance to get to know each other. This is usually spread over a week or two, but if you’re on a tighter timeline just let us know and we’ll speed things up.
- Email a copy of your CV and a brief description of your current location and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If we think you’re a good match we’ll arrange a quick chat over coffee or VC to share more background about the role and make sure that we’re all still interested.
- We’ll give you a take-home coding challenge which should take about 2-3 hours. We’re far more interested in how you approach problem solving and write clean code than how quickly you can invert a binary tree!
- You’ll spend an hour talking about your previous technical experience and future goals with our CTO Rick Grundy.
- Our CEO Pete Neal will have a final chat to make sure that you’ll be happy at Powerpal and to check that you don’t hate puppies.
- We’ll make you an offer and you’ll become part of the Powerpal family!